Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fire - fanart time!

Spoilers for Bitterblue herein.

When I first read Fire, I did not pick up on the fact that the protagonist, also named Fire, has brown skin. I may have missed a description, and one of my goals for this deconstruction is to check for that really carefully.

However, Bitterblue establishes without a doubt that Fire's skin in brown. Upon meeting Fire, Bitterblue notes the following:
“Her skin was brown and her eyes were green” [p. 501].*
I had a little trouble imagining what a person with vivid green eyes, red hair, and brown skin would look like, so I decided to draw her and see how it shook out. I really enjoyed this exercise, and it definitely changed the way I picture Fire in my mind as I'm reading. Yay!





 Pencil crayons.

*Quote is from the 2013 paperback edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment